Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Melbourne, Australia
Digital Photograph - Staff outside J Danson Wicker & Bamboo Furniture Factory, Melbourne, circa 1900 Reg. No: MM 110682
- Black and white photograph featuring staff standing outside J. Danson Wicker and Bamboo Furniture factory and showroom in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, circa 1900. A range of products, including furniture, stand on the footpath, and signage on the building advertises 'perambulators & go-carts'.
The wicker and bamboo business belonged to Ernest Harry Jeffrey, who bought the business but didn't change the name from a previous owner. His great-nephew Ian Johnson's own pram and some of the family garden furniture was made at the business. Ian still has a table and a picture made by his great uncle.
Photograph collected as part of Melbourne's Biggest Family Album in 2006.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original sepia print.
- Description Of Content:
- Men standing with various products outside J. Danson Wholesale Manufacturer Wicker and Bamboo Furniture shop and showroom.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mr Ian Johnson, 2006
- Contributed by Mr Ian Johnson
|Tagged with:||factories, furniture, manufacturing, prams, showrooms, staff, streetscapes, wholesaling|
|Themes this item is part of:||Working Lives & Work Places in Photographs, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Tertiary Classification:||shop fronts|
|Organisations Depicted:||J Danson Wholesale Manufacturer|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Sepia; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1900
Source of Date Depicted: Based on family oral history tradition.