Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Warrandyte, Australia
Digital Photograph - 'Kadimah' Jewish Community Annual Picnic, Warrandyte, 1937-1938 Reg. No: MM 110705
- Black and white photograph showing the Jewish community 'Kadimah' enjoying their annual picnic in Warrandyte, 1937-38.
Elias Baitz's Packard automobile is in the background. Rachel Baitz is standing on the left, her daughter Rosa is on the right, leaning on the car. Rosa Baitz's boyfriend, Eddie Perlman (now her husband) is in the driver's seat. Elias Baitz, Rosa's father is sitting on a chair in front of the car at right. His daughter-in-law Connie Baitz is standing on the left with Pat Baitz, Rosa's niece sitting on a chair. On the back seat of the car sit Fira Gorden, while her father sits on a chair outside the car in front of her. The Gordens were Jewish refugees sponsored by the Baitz family. In front on the picnic rug, at right, sits Jascha Tafton, with an unknown man seated next to him. Mrs Tafton sits on the picnic rug at left, with her daughter Una, and her son (name unknown).
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- A group of fifteen people on a picnic, with two cars in background. Some are sitting on a picnic rug on long grass, some are standing, some are sitting on chairs at a low table, two people are sitting in the front car, and a woman is walking at left beside the cars. Other cars and picnickers are in the background. Trees surround the area.
- Contributed by Mrs Rosa Perlman
|Tagged with:||beverages, chairs, community groups, drinks, food technology, motor cars, picnics picnicking, recreation, tables, baitz, jewish communities, jewish immigration, russian immigration|
|Themes this item is part of:||Cultural Diversity Collection, Migration Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Secondary Classification:||Ethnicity - Community Life|
|Tertiary Classification:||social functions|
|Inscriptions:||Kadimah Jewish community annual picnic From S. Baitz 181-185 Queens Drive (?) Carlton, Australia. Stamped on back: H. Lewin Photographer 120 Mc Ilwraith Street Nth Carlton, N.4|
|People Depicted:||Baitz, Rachel; Baitz, Rosa; Perlman, Eddie; Baitz, Elias; Baitz, Connie; Baitz, Pat; Gorden, Fira; Taft, Jascha; unknown man; Tafton, Mrs (first name unknown); Tafton, Una; Tafton, (first name unknown)|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Warrandyte, Victoria, Australia, 1937-1938|