Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Northcote, Australia
Digital Photograph - Two Girls Playing with Sprinkler, Back Garden, Northcote, 1949 Reg. No: MM 110711
- Colour photograph featuring Dorothy (Dot) Hick and her sister Shirley playing with the sprinkler in the backyard of their family home in Northcote, 1949. Dorothy remembers on hot days they would put the sprinkler on and play, as there were no swimming pools. They wore 'horrible knitted woollen bathers, they soaked up the water and got heavy and baggy.'
The ladder against the tree was to pick apricots 'which were so ripe and juicy the juice would run down your chin.'
Photograph collected as part of Melbourne's Biggest Family Album in 2006.
- Digital image file, copied from original colour print.
- Description Of Content:
- Two girls playing with a sprinkler, in a back garden. A ladder leans against an apricot tree at left, with a wooden box on top of the ladder. The back fence is at right.
- Contributed by Ms Dorothy Hick
|Tagged with:||children s play, fruit trees, gardens, leisure, sprinklers, water|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Leisure Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||RECREATION & TOURISM|
|Inscriptions:||Dot & Shirl|
|People Depicted:||Hick, Dorothy; Hick, Shirley|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Northcote, Victoria, Australia, 1949
Source of Date Depicted: Based on the ages of the children in the image who were born (girl at left) in 1941 and (girl at right) in 1943).
|Photographer:||Mrs Emily Hick|