Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted St Kilda, Australia
Similar items over time
Digital Photograph - Family Photograph, Celebrating Son Joining Navy, St Kilda, 1943 Reg. No: MM 110722
- Black and white photograph showing the Altson family, taken in their family home in St Kilda in March 1943. It was taken by a professional photographer and mounted to celebrate an important occasion in the Altson family history. Bruce Altson had just joined the Navy during World War II, and would be leaving for the 'HMAS Cerberus'. His grandparents, parents and brothers all posed for the commemorative photograph.
Back row, left to right: Charles and Claire Altson, their sons Richard and David; Front row, left to right: Barnett Hyman 'BH' Altson, Bruce and Rose Altson.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- Family photograph in lounge room, with grandparents, father, mother, and three sons. The son in the centre of the front row in the photograph is wearing a navy uniform. The group are posed in front of a wood panelled wall, which has plates displayed on the top of it.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mrs Christine Bergin, 2006
- Contributed by Mrs Christine Bergin
|Tagged with:||domestic environment, families, houses, naval forces, portraits, wars conflicts, world war ii 1939-1945, migrant ships|
|Themes this item is part of:||Life During World War II in Photographs, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MILITARY HISTORY|
|Inscriptions:||Maxwell Porteus MCID|
|People Depicted:||Alston, Charles; Altson, Claire; Altson, Richard; Altson, David; Altson, BH; Altson, Bruce; Altson, Rose|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||St Kilda, Victoria, Australia, Mar 1943
Source of Date Depicted: contributor's father's memory.