Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Melbourne, Australia
Digital Photograph - View of BH Altson Tobacconist, Corner of Collins & Elizabeth Streets, Melbourne, 1890s Reg. No: MM 110723
- Photograph of photograph B H Altson Tobacconist, on the corner of Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Melbourne. Alston Tobacconist was in operation at 304 Collins St at least between 1890 and 1895. The building was replaced by a new building in 1903.
- Description Of Content:
- View from above of B H Altson Tobacconist, corner store on corner of Collins and Elizabeth Streets.
This photograph shows a view of B H Altson Tobacconist, on the corner of Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Melbourne, circa 1890s. This was the original building that housed B H Alton's tobacco business, and according to the family, 'was the first brick building in Melbourne. It was replaced by a new building in 1903'. There is a second photograph of B H Altson's store, in the newer building, MM110726. There was a BH Altsons Tobacconists on this site for about 86 years. The owner Barnett Hyman, 'BH' passed the business on to his son Charles Altson.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mrs Christine Bergin, 2006
- Contributed by Mrs Christine Bergin
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Tertiary Classification:||shop fronts|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||B H Altsons Tobacconists, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, early 1890s
Sands & McDougall Directories list Alston, Tobacconist, at 304 Collins Street, between 1890 & 1895. Additional research is required to identify the earliest and latest dates of the business at this site. - Researcher, Nicky Lo Bianco, 10/10/2009.
|References:||Sands & McDougall's Melbourne Directories: 1890 p.1240 & 1895 p.30.|