Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted South Yarra, Australia
Digital Photograph - Horse & Wagon outside WW Allen Grocers, Hawksburn, circa 1920s Reg. No: MM 110755
- Black and white photograph featuring a delivery of goods by horse-drawn lorries or wagons in front of WW Allen Cash Grocers, a licensed grocery store in Hawksburn, in about the 1920s. The building was leased by the Allen family, and the business ran from 1920 to early 1940s.
Heather Allen, the mother of the contributor of this photograph, was born in an upstairs room above the shop on 31 Dec 1924.
Photograph collected as part of Melbourne's Biggest Family Album in 2006.
- Digital image file, copied from original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- Delivery of goods to 'WW Allen Cash Grocers', located in a large verandah covered building. There are two large carts drawn by horses outside on the street. The cart to the viewer's right is stacked with large cane baskets, with white sheeting lying over part of the cart. The cart to left is entirely covered with white sheeting. The shop has a large McAlpins Flour advertising sign at the centre of the store, above the verandah.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Ms Charmaine Proctor, 2006
- Contributed by Ms Charmaine Proctor
|Tagged with:||advertising signs, commerce, grocers, horsedrawn vehicles, produce merchants, retailing|
|Themes this item is part of:||Working Lives & Work Places in Photographs, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Secondary Classification:||Supermarkets & Grocers|
|Tertiary Classification:||shop fronts|
|Inscriptions:||403-405 Malvern Rd, Hawksburn, 1920 (scribbled out)|
|Organisations Depicted:||Mc Alpins Flour; WW Allen Cash Grocer, Hawksburn Store|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Hawksburn, Victoria, Australia, circa 1920s|