Search the collections
Digital Photograph - Crowd at Returned Services League Picnic, Dandenong Ranges, 1948-1949 Reg. No: MM 110808
- Black and white photograph showing a Returned and Services League sports day and picnic at Silvan Reservoir in the Dandenong Ranges, in 1948 or 1949.
The Beedles family took part in this picnic. Russell Beedles remembers his mother Anne Beedles had been playing tennis and his father Jack had been playing cricket at the picnic. His mother is sitting in the middle of the group, and is wearing sunglasses. According to his family, 'Jack Beedles would have been a member of the RSL because of his military service in New Guinea during World War II.'
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- A crowd of about 18 men, women and children sitting on the ground on rugs at a picnic. There is a wire fence, tennis court with women playing tennis, parked cars and a forest behind them. A teapot and paper used to wrap food is sitting on the ground in the foreground.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mr Russell Beedles, 2006
- Contributed by Mr Russell Beedles
|Tagged with:||families, picnics picnicking, recreation, returned services, tennis, wars conflicts, world war ii 1939-1945|
|Themes this item is part of:||Life During World War II in Photographs, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MILITARY HISTORY|
|Tertiary Classification:||social functions|
|People Depicted:||Beedles, Anne|
|Organisations Depicted:||Returned and Services League, Victoria|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Dandenong Ranges, Victoria, Australia, 1948-1949
Place Depicted Notes: Possibly Silvan Reservoir.
Source of Date Depicted: Also contributor's memory.
|Photographer:||Mr Jack Beedles|