Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Port Melbourne, Australia
Digital Photograph - View of the White Star Liner MV 'Georgic' & Passengers, Station Pier, Port Melbourne, 1949 Reg. No: MM 110853
- Black and white photograph showing a view of MV 'Georgic', the ship the Atkinson family arrived on as British migrants to Australia. According to the family it was 'the first all-British migrant ship. The 'MV 'Georgic' left Liverpool in Britain on 11th January 1949 and arrived at Station Pier in Port Melbourne, Australia on 12th February 1949.
A motor-ship, the 'Georgic' was the last liner built for the White Star shipping line. She was constructed by Harland and Wolff Ltd in Belfast, Northern Ireland in the early 1930s. Her inaugural voyage was in June 1932 on the Liverpool to New York route. In 1934 Cunard merged with White Star, and the 'Georgic' was then based in London. In 1940, during World War Two, the 'Georgic' was refitted as a military personnel transport ship. The following year the ship was bombed and suffered great damage. After being rebuilt, the 'Georgic' continued to provide war service and repatriation work until 1948. She was then refitted once more as a one-class emigrant carrier for the Australian government. In 1955 the ship was de-commissioned.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- Side view of a passenger liner, the 'Georgic' from the pier. Two men are walking in front of the photographer. Two levels of the ship are visible and crowds of people are looking out.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mrs Joan Kimberley, 2006
- Contributed by Mrs Joan Kimberley
|Tagged with:||immigration, ports, tweedale, pier 21 halifax, im trying to find my mother in laws name from the last voyage of mv georgic from southampton to nyc 1954. her name was jean towle., -1, immigrant voyages, i am trying to find details of my fathers arrival in melbourne on the georgic in 1949 or 1950 his name was john coyle he was irish born and 25 on his arrival here, trying to see if any of the coyle family are still living in sydney, alf and dorothy, plus yvonne and chris, trying to find info on passangers who sailed on the georgic from southampton on the 7th october 1949, patricia anstey nee willoughby searching for passenger list sailing from england on 7th october 1949 arriving sydney 13 piermont 11th november 1949.|
|Themes this item is part of:||Post World War II Immigration in Photographs, Migration Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Processing - Arrival|
|Organisations Depicted:||Station Pier; 'Georgic'; White Star Line; Port of Melbourne|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1949
Source of Date Depicted: Date the family arrived in Australia.
|References:||Ships That Passed, Scott Baty, Reed Books, Frenchs Forest, 1984, pp. 149-1950.|