Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Brunswick West, Australia
Similar items over time
Digital Photograph - Female Relatives of World War II Soldiers, Front Garden, Brunswick West, 1943 Reg. No: MM 110938
- Black and white photograph showing Joyce Livermore, Adele Smith and Lorraine Livermore in Brunswick West in 1943.
The photograph shows three generations of women affected by their men folk going away to fight in World War II. The badges worn by Joyce Livermore and Adele Smith, were 'Female Relative's Badges' issued by the Commonwealth Government to women whose husbands and sons were serving at war. Joyce is standing at the rear of the group. Her daughter, Lorraine, is standing at front left. Joyce's husband was serving, and her badge number was 50689, issued in 1940. The older woman, seated at front right on a wicker chair, is Adele Smith, Joyce's mother. She had two badges as both her sons were serving.
The Australian War Memorial website refers to the Female Relative's Badge, and gives a closer view of it. The badge reads: 'To the women of Australia'. http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/badges/female_relative.htm
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- Two women and a young girl in the front garden of a house. One woman is standing, wearing a dress and a badge. Seated in front of her in a wicker chair, the other woman is wearing a fur stole over a blouse and skirt, and a hat. The young girl standing is holding on to a soft toy. The verandah of their house is visible behind them.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mrs Lorraine Louden, 2006
- Contributed by Mrs Lorraine Louden
|Tagged with:||children, families, front yards, wars conflicts, world war ii 1939-1945|
|Themes this item is part of:||Life During World War II in Photographs, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MILITARY HISTORY|
|Secondary Classification:||Civilian Life|
|People Depicted:||Livermore, Joyce; Smith, Adele; Livermore, Lorraine|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Brunswick West, Victoria, Australia, 1943|