Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Bonegilla, Australia
Similar items over time
Digital Photograph - Six Men Eating Ice cream at Bonegilla Migrant Reception Centre, Bonegilla, 1950 Reg. No: MM 111004
- Black and white photograph showing Ivan Kucan and friends eating ice cream at Bonegilla Migrant Reception Centre, 1950. The men are probably resting during a work project.
According to Ivan's family, in 1949 the Kucan family migrated to Australia as displaced persons after World War II. They had stayed in a displaced persons camp in Austria for four years but their country of origin was Ukraine. During the first two years in Australia, they lived in migrant camps in Bonegilla and Benalla. The men had to work off the cost of their passage in a contract to the government. When their contracts were completed, Ivan Kucan and a group of his friends joined together to buy land and help each other build their own houses in Newport.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- Six men standing outside a building in the sun, three of them eating ice cream in cones.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Ms Larysa Kucan, 2006
|Tagged with:||ice creams, migrants, work|
|Themes this item is part of:||Post World War II Immigration in Photographs, Migration Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Accommodation - Hostels|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|People Depicted:||Unknown man; Howko, Mr (first name unknown); Kucan, Ivan; unknown man; Rudyk, Mr O.; unknown man|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Bonegilla, Victoria, Australia, 1950
Source of Date Depicted: Family knowledge.