Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Melbourne, Australia
Similar items over time
Digital Photograph - Ivan Kucan & Friends Sitting in Passenger Shelter at Flinders Street Railway Station, Melbourne, Victoria, 1951 Reg. No: MM 111005
- Black and white photograph showing Ivan Kucan and friends in a passenger shelter on the platform at Flinders Street, Melbourne, 1951.
According to Ivan's family, in 1949 the Kucan family migrated to Australia as displaced persons after World War II. They had stayed in a displaced persons camp in Austria for four years but their country of origin was the Ukraine. During the first two years in Australia they lived in migrant camps in Bonegilla and Benalla. The men had to work off the cost of their passage in a contract to the government. After two years of working off their passage, this group of five migrant men came down to Melbourne to purchase land and build homes. They joined together and helped each other build their own houses in the same street in Newport.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- Five migrant workers sitting on a bench seat in a wooden passenger shelter on a platform at Flinders Street Railway Station. The photograph appears to be taken on Platform No.3. Through the glass window panes above the mens' heads can be seen part of the railway offices above Platform No.1 and the pantograph and roof of a 'Tait' style red suburban electric passenger train of the type that saw service on Melbourne's suburban railway network between 1919 and the early 1980s. Two of the men are wearing hats and one is holding a briefcase on his knee.
Ivan Kucan on the extreme left is the contributor's father.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Ms Larysa Kucan, 2006
- Contributed by Ms Larysa Kucan
|Tagged with:||migrants, workers, railway stations, electric trains, hats, briefcases|
|Themes this item is part of:||Post World War II Immigration in Photographs, Migration Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||RAIL TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Electric Tramways|
|People Depicted:||Kucan, Ivan; Konuisko, Mr.(first name unknown); Nytchenko, Mr.(first name unknown); Howko, Mr (first name unknown); unknown man|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1951
Source of Date Depicted: Family knowledge.