Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Melbourne, Australia
Digital Photograph - Four Men outside Shop on Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, 1951 Reg. No: MM 111008
- This photograph shows Ivan Kucan and friends on Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, 1951. According to his family, in 1949 the Kucan family migrated to Australia as displaced persons after the war. They had stayed in a displaced persons camp in Austria for four years but their country of origin was Ukraine. The first two years in Australia, they lived in migrant camps in Bonegilla and Benalla. The men had to work off the cost of their passage in a contract to the government. After two years of working off their passage the group of five migrant men came down to Melbourne to purchase land to build homes.
- Description Of Content:
- Four men standing outside a shop on Elizabeth Street, Melbourne. The man on the far right has a hat on his head, glasses and his carrying his coat.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Ms Larysa Kucan, 2006
- Contributed by Ms Larysa Kucan
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Metropolitan - Melbourne|
|Tertiary Classification:||street life|
|People Depicted:||Howko, Mr (first name unknown); Konuisko, Mr (first name unknown); Nytchenko, Mr (first name unknown); Kucan, Ivan|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1951
Source of Date Depicted: Family knowledge.