Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Newport, Australia
Similar items over time
Digital Photograph - Man, Woman & Two Girls, Backyard, Ukrainian Christmas Day, Newport, circa 1957 Reg. No: MM 111019
- Black and white photograph showing Anna and Ivan Kucan and their daughters, Larysa and Marika, in the backyard of their family home in about 1957 on Ukrainian Christmas day, which is traditionally in January.
According to the Kucan family, in 1949 the Kucans migrated to Australia as displaced persons after World War II. They had stayed in a displaced persons camp in Austria for four years but their country of origin was Ukraine. During the first two years in Australia, they lived in migrant camps in Bonegilla and Benalla. The men had to work off the cost of their passage in a contract to the government. After their contract was finished, Ivan and a group of five friends came to Melbourne looking for land on which to build their homes. They all purchased land in the same street in Newport and helped each other build their homes.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- Man, woman and two girls standing on the grass in the backyard of a house. The man is wearing a suit. His daughter on the left has her arm on his shoulder. The weatherboard house is in the background and a tree is at right.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Ms Larysa Kucan, 2006
- Contributed by Ms Larysa Kucan
|Tagged with:||backyards, families, houses, migrants|
|Themes this item is part of:||Post World War II Immigration in Photographs, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Migration Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||DOMESTIC LIFE|
|Tertiary Classification:||family portraits|
|Inscriptions:||9 / 195 / 11 x|
|People Depicted:||Kucan, Anna; Kucan, Ivan; Kucan, Larysa; Kucan, Marika|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Newport, Victoria, Australia, Jan 1957|