Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Ringwood East, Australia
Digital Photograph - Family Sharing Chocolate Easter Eggs, Easter Sunday, Ringwood East, 1963-1964 Reg. No: MM 111048
- Black and white photograph showing the Ellerbock family sharing chocolate Easter eggs outside their house in Ringwood East on Easter Sunday, 1963 - 1964. The children saved their pocket money to buy their parents the heart shaped box with a pair of eggs inside it.
When the Ellerbock family first immigrated to Australia from Upper Austria in 1955, they decorated hard boiled eggs and played 'Eierbecken', a game where the players hit each other's boiled eggs, trying to see which egg was stronger, as in image MM111044. Ten years later, chocolate Easter eggs replaced the boiled eggs of the earlier years.
The Ellerbock family were sponsored to immigrate to Australia, and their sponsors arranged for them to have temporary accommodation in Ringwood East from July 1955 to May 1956. They then settled in the area, and Mr Ellerbock was naturalised in 1961.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- Husband and wife standing outside a house holding a heart shaped box of chocolate eggs. Standing beside them are three girls and a boy. The girl at far right holds a basket of eggs, the girl to her left holds books, and the boy also holds a book, featuring Bible stories.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mrs Ingrid Cuttiford, 2006
- Contributed by Mrs Ingrid Cuttiford
|Tagged with:||celebrations, easter, families, immigration|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Migration Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CELEBRATIONS & TRADITIONS|
|Tertiary Classification:||food & drink|
|People Depicted:||Ellerbock, Anna snr; Ellerbock, Ron; Ellerbock, Hanne; Ellerbock, Liz; Ellerbock, Ingrid|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Ringwood East, Victoria, Australia, 1963-1964
Source of Date Depicted: Contributor's mother.