Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted St Kilda, Australia
Digital Photograph - Owner, Staff & Family outside J Kelly Saddlers & Harness Maker, St Kilda, late 1870s Reg. No: MM 111057
- Sepia photograph featuring John Kelly, three of his staff and three of his children outside his store J Kelly Saddlers & Harness Makers at 384 High Street St Kilda, in about the late 1870s.
John Kelly came to Australia from Ireland with his brothers Peter and Michael, and sister Elizabeth in 1864. After three years he set up his saddlery business in St Kilda. This business premises was photographed on several occasions - two earlier images are MM111056 and MM111058. By the time of this particular photograph, John Kelly had added a verandah to the shopfront, and houses had been built on either side.
John Kelly ran his saddlery business until he died on Christmas Day 1900. The business kept going until 2000 when his grandson Matthew Kelly jnr. died. He had made harnesses for the Clydesdale horses used by Carlton & United Breweries.
The chronological sequence of images showing the business's development is: MM111056, MM111058 and MM111057.
Photograph collected as part of Melbourne's Biggest Family Album in 2006.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original sepia print.
- Description Of Content:
- Streetscape photograph of three men, a youth, a boy and two girls outside J Kelly Saddlers & Harness Maker business shopfront. Houses are visible on either side of the shopfront.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Ms Elizabeth Kelly, 2006
- Contributed by Ms Elizabeth Kelly
|Tagged with:||commerce, families, harnesses, leather making, saddlery, staff, streetscapes|
|Themes this item is part of:||Working Lives & Work Places in Photographs, Working Life & Trades Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||shop fronts|
|People Depicted:||Kelly, John; other people unknown|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||St Kilda, Victoria, Australia, late 1870s|