Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Brunswick, Australia
Digital Photograph - Girl & Younger Sister Listening to Homemade Crystal Set Radio, Backyard, Brunswick, 1923 Reg. No: MM 111115
- Black and white photograph showing Jean and Florence 'Dot' Cheers listening to a crystal set radio in the backyard of their family home in Brunswick, on Christmas Day, 1923. The set was made by their brother Ronald Cheers, when he was 20. Florence became a radio announcer known as 'Aunty June'. Florence was 17 at the time of this photograph.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- Girl sitting on chair and infant sister standing next to her, listening to home made crystal set radio in the backyard. The radio set is sitting on a wooden chair, which has a piece of cloth draped over it. The backyard is paved with brick, but the girls are on a square patch that has been dug up. A wooden fence is in the background.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Dr Christina Cheers, 2006
- Contributed by Dr Christina Cheers
|Tagged with:||families, radios, recreation|
|Themes this item is part of:||Information & Communication Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Original Caption:||Jean & Dot|
|Inscriptions:||Jean & Dot with wireless set Xmas 1923 F/4 2 secs.|
|People Depicted:||Cheers, Jean; Cheers, Florence|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Brunswick, Victoria, Australia, 25 Dec 1923
Source of Date Depicted: Written record kept by photographer.
|Photographer:||Mr Ronald Cheers|