Search the collections
Greeting Card - Jason, Bulleen Heights School, to The Alfred hospital Burns Unit, Blue, 2009 Reg. No: HT 25799
- Sympathy card created by Jason, a student at Bulleen Heights School, for patients in the Burns Unit of The Alfred hospital in Melbourne in the days following Black Saturday in February 2009. Like many people throughout Australia and the world, the students at Bulleen Heights were affected by the bushfire stories seen on the media, and decided to make and send cards to the staff at the Burns Unit to be passed on to patients. Bulleen Heights School is a specialist school for children with autism spectrum disorder and Jason was in Grade 9 when he made this card. He describes one of the many fund-raising efforts for the Bushfire Relief Appeal. It is part of a collection of cards, letters and gifts donated by The Alfred that show the outpouring of support to survivors of Black Saturday.
- Blue card folded in half with lettering on the front in black ink accompanied by a smiling face and a flower and surrounded by a wavy line in yellow texta. On the inside face is a hand-lettered message in black ink with an arrow pointing to a smiling figure drawn in yellow texta and black ink.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This card of one of many that were received by The Alfred hospital in the days following the bushfires of February 2009. People around the world responded to the crisis with donations of money and material aid but they also wanted to express personal messages of hope and support directly to the people involved. The Burns Unit, as one of the major hospital services receiving victims of the bushfires, was swamped with cards, letters and gifts not only for the patients but also for the staff of the Unit. This collection illustrates the power of the media in conveying the effects of the fires, but more importantly it demonstrates people's need to connect directly with the victims and their carers, regardless of whether they even knew their names.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from The Alfred Hospital Burns Unit, 2010
|Dimensions:||150 mm (Height), 210 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||children, bushfires, black saturday bushfires 2009, greeting cards, emergency medical services|
|Themes this item is part of:||Childhood & Youth Collection, Medicine in Society Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Bushfires Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Natural Disasters|
|Inscriptions:||The message on the front reads: 'Get well soon'. The message inside reads: 'to the patients, we hope u get well soon. At Bulleen Heights school we made lots and lots of scones and sold them to the staff and then we donated to the Bushfire Appeal we hope this money helps you and your family/ J [name withheld] / 24/2/09 / Jason [name withheld]'|
|Recipient:||The Alfred Hospital Burns Unit, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Feb 2009|
|Sender:||Bulleen Heights School, Bulleen, Victoria, Australia, Feb 2009|