Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Streetscape of Factory Building in Flockhart Street, Kodak Factory, Abbotsford, 1961 Reg. No: MM 109728
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph of a streetscape view of Flockhart Street in Abbotsford, Kodak Factory, 1961
As the original factory at Southhampton Crescent outgrew its premises, several small factory buildings close by were acquired by the company to accommodate operations which were self-contained and not associated from the main film and paper manufacturing operations.
The building in Flockhart Street was purchased by Kodak to accommodate its Reels and Sundries operations. This building occupied a rectangular block of land through to Grosvenor Street. Both street frontages had brick facades and side wings with iron cladding over timber and steel framing and a trussed saw tooth roof allowing large expanses of clear floor area with natural lighting. The larger section of this building facing Grosvenor Street along with an adjacent iron clad skillion roofed annexe to the north served as the Garage, whilst the remaining section facing Flockhart Street accommodated the Reels and Sundries Department operations along with a Machine Tool Room in support of these operations. These buildings were collectively known as the 'Kodak Garage'.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as, film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005 after the manufacturing plant at Coburg had closed down the year before.
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph printed on medium weight paper, landscape format.
- Description Of Content:
- This is a streetscape of Flockhart Street in Abbotsford featuring the east face of a factory building and looking towards Victoria Street with a neighbouring milk bar and its 'Four N Twenty' pies sign outside. Several cars can be seen parked in the street with a rare 1940 Chevrolet Master two-door 'All-Enclosed Coupe' or sloper just behind the pie sign. Just 149 of this type of body was made by General Motors-Holden for Chevrolet cars in 1940. This building was used for the company's Reels and Sundries operations.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Tagged with:||manufacturing, factories, buildings, photography, exterior views, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Kodak Wartime Comforts Fund, Images & Image Making Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||business archives|
|Model Name/Number:||1940; Master|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1961|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak Australasia Limited, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1961|