Search the collections
Souvenir Folder - 'Qantas Jets, Linking Victoria to the World Direct from the New Melbourne Airport', 1 Jul 1970 Reg. No: HT 25870
- Souvenir folder produced to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the founding of Qantas, and the inauguration of Qantas's first international jet flights from the new Melbourne Airport at Tullamarine on 1 July 1970. The folder was presented to Councillor Graeme Fullarton, Mayor of the City of Keilor, when he was a passenger on a special commemorative Qantas flight out of Melbourne Airport on 17 March 1970 - a preview flight prior to the commencement of regular Qantas jet flights from Melbourne's new international airport opening 1 July 1970.
The folder contains the following items:
1. Reproduction of the first passenger ticket issued by The Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited (later QANTAS) to A. Kennedy, from Longreach to Cloncurry, 2 Nov 1922.
2. Qantas Kangaroo Route Flight Guide - souvenir booklet issued Qantas passenger on international flights, including 'Welcome Aboard' introduction, alcoholic beverage prices on flights, list of duty free products sold on flights, route maps for all Qantas international services, descriptions of the Qantas flight crew and aircraft fleet and a list of Qantas booking offices worldwide.
3. 'Do Not Wake Me For Meals' sticker featuring a picture of a sleeping Koala.
4. Qantas serviette.
5. 'Your Clothing Sizes Around the World' small pamphlet listing equivalent clothing and shoe sizes in various countries.
6. Two souvenir postcards (sealed in cellophane wrapper) depicting early Qantas aircraft de Havilland DH50J VH-ULG 'Hippomenes' which carried the first regular international air mail service from Australia to Britain on the first leg of its flight on 10 December 1934 and de Havilland DH86 VH-USC, one of the first aircraft purchased by Qantas Empire Airways for the international airmail service, which crashed near Longreach, Queensland, on its delivery flight form England.
7. Notepaper with letterhead 'QANTAS - AUSTRALIA'S ROUND-THE-WORLD AIRLINE' (two sheets).
8. Airmail Envelope marked 'PAR AVION' AND 'QANTAS - AUSTRALIA'S ROUND-THE-WORLD AIRLINE'.
9. Caution notice requesting passengers not to use cigarette lighters with liquid fuel reservoirs that do not contain absorbent wadding as they 'constitute a serious fire hazard at altitude'.
10. Commemorative certificate issued to Councillor G. Fullarton as guest aboard a Qantas 707 Jet on 17th March 1970, signed by 'J Sloss Captain'.
11. Passenger Ticket & Baggage Check issued to Councillor G. Fullarton by Qantas Airways Limited, for flight QF-165 from Melbourne to Melbourne, departing 11:00 am 17 March 1970.
12. Invitation issued by Qantas Airways to Cr. G.G. Fullarton as a guest on a Champagne Flight from Melbourne Airport, Tullamarine, on 17th March 1970 at 11 am, followed by a Buffet Luncheon at Hotel International.
- Cardboard folder with two unsecured internal pockets, printed in red and black, with a black & white picture of a smiling air hostess in the centre above the words "Melbourne it's great to have you aboard".
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Graeme Fullarton, 2007
|Dimensions:||280 mm (Height), 230 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||aeroplanes, airlines, air transport, airports, flying, ht25870|
|Themes this item is part of:||Transport Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AIR TRANSPORT|
|Tertiary Classification:||promotional materials|
|Inscriptions:||Printed in off-set white lettering in centre below photograph: "Melbourne/ it's great to have/ you aboard"
Printed in off-set white lettering in centre at bottom: "QANTAS JETS"
Printed in black below previous text: "Linking Victoria and the World/ Direct from the new Melbourne Airport July 1"
Small circular logo printed in bottom right-hand corner of front cover with the words: "Qantas Flying Through It's 50th Golden Year"
Hand-written in top right-hand corner of front cover: "Fullarton/ Keilor"
|Issued To:||Councillor Graeme Fullarton - City of Keilor, Keilor East, Victoria, Australia, Mar 1970|
|Issued By:||Qantas Airways Ltd, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1970|