Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - Aerial View of the Exhibition Building from South East, Melbourne, 1948 Reg. No: MM 124006
- Black & white aerial photograph of the Exhibition Building from south east, taken in 1948. The photograph shows the eastern and western forecourts, the Hochgurtel fountain, the eastern and western annexes and the oval.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- An aerial view of the Exhibition Building showing Nicholson Street in the bottom, right-hand corner and Rathdowne Street in the top, left-hand corner. Buildings, roadways, gardens, trees and marquees are visible.
|Dimensions:||190 mm (Height), 240 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, royal exhibition building, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Tertiary Classification:||buildings & grounds|
|Inscriptions:||The Exhibition Building Melbourne/ from south-east 1948/ The building shown is much the same as it was between 1882 to 1887/ and from 1890. In foreground: the Great Hall; to left: western/ annexe with Country Roads Board offices, Motor Registration Branch/ offices, to right: Palais Royale, Aquarium, Australian War Museum/ office, Exhibition Youth Club, ?The Residency? (Secretary's/ residence), centre: oval.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1948|