Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - Aerial View of the Exhibition Building from South East, Melbourne, 1963 Reg. No: MM 124007
- Black & white aerial photograph of the Exhibition Building from south east, taken in 1963. The photograph shows the eastern forecourt, eastern and western annexes and extensive car parking facilities.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- An aerial view of the Exhibition Building showing Nicholson Street and houses to the east of Nicholson Street at the bottom of the photograph and Rathdowne Street at the top. Buildings, roadways, gardens, trees and extensive car parking are visible.
|Dimensions:||190 mm (Height), 240 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, royal exhibition building, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Tertiary Classification:||buildings & grounds|
|Inscriptions:||The Exhibition Building Melbourne/ from south-east 1963/ In foreground: the Great Hall; to left: new western annexe built/ 1962 and opened January 30th 1963, Motor Registration Branch offices,/ north western pavilion built 1956 for Transport Regulations Board; to/ right: Royale Ballroom, Stadium annexe replacing Aquarium in/ October 1956, Australian War Museum office, White Ensign Club,/ ?The Residency? (Secretary's residence).|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1963|