Tags

Add your own tags:
Separate multiple tags using a comma

Similar items over time

Photograph - Aerial View of the Exhibition Building from North East, Melbourne, 1963 Image Reg. No: MM 124012

Summary:
Black & white aerial photograph of the Exhibition Building from north east, taken in 1963. The photograph shows the Exhibition Building, eastern and western annexes, a car park on the site previously occupied by the British Migrant Reception Centre and the new stadium annexe which was built on the Aquarium site in 1962.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description:
A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
Description Of Content:
An aerial view of the Exhibition Building taken from north west showing the Great Hall, annexes, the eastern forecourt and car parking. In the background are cars and buildings on Rathdowne Street as well as part of the Carlton Gardens. In the foreground are cars and buildings on Nicholson Street.
Discipline: History
Dimensions: 190 mm (Height), 240 mm (Width)

More information

Tagged with: buildings, royal exhibition building, royal exhibition building trustees
Themes this item is part of: Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection
Primary Classification: ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING
Secondary Classification: Building & Infrastructure
Tertiary Classification: buildings & grounds
Inscriptions: The Exhibition Building Melbourne/ from north-east 1963/ In background: the Great Hall, Stadium annexe built on the Aquarium site/ October 1956, new western annexe on site of Country Roads Board offices/ built 1962, opened January 30th 1963, Motor Registration Branch offices,/ north western pavilion (Transport Regulations Board offices); in/ foreground: Royale Ballroom, Australian War Museum office, White/ Ensign Club, ?The Residency?; centre: northern car park on site of/ migrant camp.
Format: Photograph: Black & White
Place & Date Depicted: Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1963

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.
Yes No