Search the collections
Photograph - Exhibition Building from North, Melbourne, circa 1947 Reg. No: MM 124019
- Black & white photograph of the dome of the Exhibition Building, taken from the north in 1947. The photograph shows the dome and the northern side of the Great Hall as well as the grassy area to the north of the Great Hall, after it was vacated by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF).
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- A view of the dome and Great Hall of the Exhibition Building from the north, with grass in the foreground.
|Dimensions:||190 mm (Height), 240 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, royal exhibition building, air forces, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Tertiary Classification:||buildings & grounds|
|Inscriptions:||The Exhibition Building from north 1947/ In foreground is oval or arena which during 1880 - 81 and 1888 - 89/ International Exhibitions was site of temporary pavilions. At other times/ it was a sports oval (1882 - 1939), cycle, motor cycle and mechanical/ hare track (1927 - 1939), R.A.A.F. camp (1940 - 1947), British Migrant/ Reception Centre (1948 - 1962). From 1962 it has been the/ northern car park (see next photograph).|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1947|