Tags

Add your own tags:
Separate multiple tags using a comma

Similar items over time

Photograph - Aerial View of the Exhibition Building from South East, Melbourne, 1962 Image Reg. No: MM 124029

Summary:
Black & white aerial photograph of the western annexe of the Exhibition Building from south east, taken circa 1962. The photograph shows the western annexe before its redevelopment in 1962 and 1963.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description:
A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
Description Of Content:
At the bottom of the photograph is the dome and western and northern sections of the Great Hall of the Exhibition Building, above this is the old western annexe.
Discipline: History
Dimensions: 176 mm (Height), 245 mm (Width)

More information

Tagged with: buildings, royal exhibition building, building construction, royal exhibition building trustees
Themes this item is part of: Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection
Primary Classification: ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING
Secondary Classification: Building & Infrastructure
Tertiary Classification: buildings & grounds
Inscriptions: Master Plan Stage I - Development of a western annexe southern section/ March 26th 1952-January 30th 1963./ Old western annexe from dome. Country Roads Board offices centre/ background, Motor Registration Branch offices right background. The/ building was first used for permanent and periodical exhibitions. From/ 1880 until 1887 the Government Printing Office was located here. During/ the Centennial Exhibition of 1888-89 it became a machinery annexe./ From 1889 to 1901, exhibitions, examinations were held therein. A/ dining room was located within. Between 1901 and 1927 the Legislative/ Council of State Parliament sat here. From 1928 to 1960 the Country/ Roads Board offices were here.
Format: Photograph: Black & White
Place & Date Depicted: Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1962

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.
Yes No