Search the collections
Photograph - Western Annexe & Car Park, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, circa 1967 Reg. No: MM 124048
- Black & white photograph of the northern section of the western annexe of the Exhibition Building, taken circa 1967. The northern section of the western annexe was demolished between March and May 1967.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- The northern section of the western annexe with a car park in the foreground. In this photograph cars are being removed from the car park on the back of large trucks.
|Dimensions:||195 mm (Height), 246 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, royal exhibition building, construction works, car parks, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Tertiary Classification:||buildings & grounds|
|Inscriptions:||Master Plan Stage 2 - Development old western annexe site northern/ section March 9th-May 12th 1967./ Building erected on this site in 1879-80 was first used for exhibits during/ International Exhibition of 1880-81. It became a machinery annexe/ during Centennial International Exhibition of 1888-89. Between these/ exhibitions in became the Government Printing Office and up to/ Federation accommodated exhibitions, examinations and meetings. It/ houses the Legislative Assembly of State Parliament from 1901 until/ 1927. From 1929 until February 11th 1967 Motor Registration Branch/ offices were located here.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1967|