Search the collections
Photograph - Northern Section of Eastern Annexe, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 1971 Reg. No: MM 124062
- Black & white photograph of the northern section of the eastern annexe of the Exhibition Building prior to demolition, 1971. The northern section of the eastern annexe was demolished between August and September 1971.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- Northern section of eastern annexe viewed from the west. In the foreground is the northern car park with a few cars parked and a crane in front of the building.
|Dimensions:||177 mm (Height), 240 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, royal exhibition building, construction works, car parks, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Tertiary Classification:||eastern annexe|
|Inscriptions:||Master Plan - Stage 3 - Development old eastern annexe site northern/ section August 31st - September 30th 1971./ Building constructed 1879-80 was first used as a machinery annexe for/ international fairs of 1880-81 and 1888-89. Northern section was/ secretary's residence from 1890 until 1927. On May 21st 1940 this area/ became a youth centre operated here until June 1st 1942 when building/ was occupied by the RAAF. Youth centre re-opened on May 3rd 1946/ until March 19th 1951.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1971|