Search the collections
Photograph - Demolition of Northern Section of Eastern Annexe, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 1971 Reg. No: MM 124072
- Black & white photograph of Director JC Elden and a Whelan the Wrecker's foreman standing amongst rubble during the demolition of the northern section of the eastern annexe of the Exhibition Building, 16 September 1971. The northern section of the eastern annexe was demolished between August and September 1971.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- Two men standing on a pile of building ruins with the remaining section of the eastern annexe in the background.
|Dimensions:||190 mm (Height), 246 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, royal exhibition building, demolition, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Tertiary Classification:||eastern annexe|
|Inscriptions:||Master Plan - Stage 3 - Development old eastern annexe site northern section/ August 31st - September 30th 1971./ Among the ruins Director J.C. Elden speaks to Whelan the Wrecker's/ foreman - September 16th 1971.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1971|
|Organisation Depicted:||Whelan the Wrecker, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1971|