Search the collections
Photograph - East Central Entrance from Nicholson Street, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 1971 Reg. No: MM 124074
- Black & white photograph of the east central entrance to the Exhibition Building prior to demolition, 1971. The northern section of the eastern annexe, including the east central entrance, was demolished between August and September 1971.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- East central entrance to the Exhibition Building from Nicholson Street with a crane in the background, car park with cars in the foreground and large trees to the right of the photograph.
|Dimensions:||190 mm (Height), 231 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, royal exhibition building, construction works, car parks, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Tertiary Classification:||eastern annexe|
|Inscriptions:||Master Plan Stage 3 - Demolition east central entrance from Nicholson/ Street September 16th - 28th 1971./ Central entrance was used first as a loading point for machinery exhibits/ for International Exhibitions of 1880 and 1888. A railway extended from/ Nicholson Street to Rathdowne Street via this entrance. A turntable was/ located under minaret and branch lines ran north and south through centre of old annexe.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1971|