Search the collections
Photograph - Eastern Annexe from North West, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 1973 Reg. No: MM 124118
- Black & white photograph of the new eastern annexe of the Exhibition Building, taken April 1973. The eastern annexe was redeveloped between April 1972 and March 1973.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- View from car park of the new eastern annexe building. A large cloud hangs in the sky and there are trees to the left of the photograph.
|Dimensions:||188 mm (Height), 242 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, royal exhibition building, construction works, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Tertiary Classification:||buildings & grounds|
|Inscriptions:||New eastern annexe April 1973 from north-west "Jika Jika" lounge is/ in foreground./ Area in 1880 accommodated two kiosks and three refreshment bars./ From 1885 until January 28th 1953 when building was destroyed by/ fire it housed an aquarium and fernery. A basketball stadium, built for/ the Melbourne Olympics of 1956, was constructed in August-October of/ that year. Converted for exhibition use it remained here until demolished/ between April 4th - 21st 1972.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1973|