Search the collections
Photograph - Aquarium & Fernery Site Destroyed by Fire, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 1953 Reg. No: MM 124119
- Black & white photograph looking through a hole in a brick wall over the destroyed Aquarium and Fernery site, to the dome of the Exhibition Building, 1953. This section of the eastern annexe was destroyed by fire on 28 January 1953.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- View of the dome of the Exhibition Building framed by brick wall on the left and right hand sides. In the middle ground some palm trees can be seen.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 2000
|Dimensions:||190 mm (Height), 240 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, royal exhibition building, fires, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Tertiary Classification:||buildings & grounds|
|Inscriptions:||Master Plan Stage 4 - Development old eastern annexe site Phase 2./ First section new annexe April 24th 1972 - March 7th 1973./ Aquarium fernery after fire of January 28th 1952 from north-east.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1953|