Search the collections
Photograph - Interior of Royale Ballroom, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 1952 Reg. No: MM 124168
- Black & white photograph of the interior of the Royale Ballroom, taken in 1952. The Royale Ballroom was upgraded in 1952.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- View of ballroom with wooden floor, pylons run down both sides of the room. At the end of the room, in the centre of the photograph, is the stage with two large figures on either side.
|Dimensions:||201 mm (Height), 255 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, royal exhibition building, interior views, royal exhibition building trustees, dancing, royal exhibition building history of events 1950-1959, ballroom dancing|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Tertiary Classification:||royale ballroom|
|Inscriptions:||ROYALE BALLROOM UPGRADE 1952/ The Royale Ballroom 1952 - 1978 was originally a machinery annexe./ In 1885 it became the Aquarium Hall and art gallery. Apart from/ the period of the Centennial Exhibition (1888-1889) it operated as such until 1919, when it became nurses quarters during an influenza/ epidemic. Retaining its previous role until 1926, it became a/ ballroom operated by Mr. H. Kleiner./ Above: Renovated main ballroom 1952.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1952|