Search the collections
Photograph - Interior of Royale Ballroom, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 1975 Reg. No: MM 124169
- Black & white photograph of the interior of the Royale Ballroom, taken in February 1975. The Royale Ballroom was upgraded in 1952 and the renovated again in 1975.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- View of ballroom with wooden floor, pylons run down both sides of the room and there is carpet in the foreground. At the end of the room, in the centre of the photograph, is the stage. Windows can be seen on both the right and left of the photograph.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 2000
|Dimensions:||190 mm (Height), 244 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, royal exhibition building, interior views, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Tertiary Classification:||royale ballroom|
|Inscriptions:||ROYALE BALLROOM UPGRADE 1975/ Between 1932 and 1952, known as the Palais Royale, ballroom was/ operated by Dennis Copley. It was completely renovated and new/ kitchens were installed in 1952. Re-named Royale Ballroom it was/ conducted by the Trustees until December 1974. The Dennis Group/ operated ballroom again fron 1975 until 1978./ Above: Renovated main ballroom February 1975.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1975|