Tags

Add your own tags:
Separate multiple tags using a comma

Similar items over time

Photograph - Interior of Royale Ballroom, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 1979 Image Reg. No: MM 124207

Summary:
Black & white photograph of the interior of the Royale Ballroom, taken February 1979. The Royale Ballroom was demolished between March and May 1979.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description:
A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
Description Of Content:
View of the interior of the Royale Ballroom with tied-back curtains in the foreground and tables set up to the left of the photograph.
Acquisition Information:
Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 2000
Discipline: History
Dimensions: 190 mm (Height), 239 mm (Width)

More information

Tagged with: buildings, royal exhibition building, building construction, royal exhibition building trustees
Themes this item is part of: Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection
Primary Classification: ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING
Secondary Classification: Building & Infrastructure
Tertiary Classification: royale ballroom
Inscriptions: Master Plan Stage 6 - Demolition Royale Ballroom March 5th - May 1st 1979: The Royale Ballroom as it appeared/ prior to last function held therein on February 15th 1979 (Victorian Trotting Control Board Ball). The original/ building on this site was used as a machinery annexe during the 1880 - 81 exhibition and was then intended to/ become a technological museum and workshop. In 1885, an aquarium was established at the rear of the building and/ remained here until destroyed by fire on January 28th 1953. The ballroom area during this period contained the/ Aquarium Hall, Art Gallery and Museum. During the 1919 Influenza Epidemic, Hall became nurses quarters./ From 1919 to 1926, Art Gallery and Museum remained, and in 1932 the Aquarium Dance Hall became the Palais/ Royale until 1952, when the name was changed to Royale Ballroom.
Format: Photograph: Black & White
Place & Date Depicted: Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1979

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.
Yes No