Search the collections
Photograph - Construction of Centennial Hall from Control Tower, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 1980 Reg. No: MM 124294
- A black & white photograph of the completed Centennial Hall and carpark looking across to Nicholson Street, taken from the control tower in the northern car park in October 1980. Centennial Hall was constructed between August 1979 and September 1980.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. The image shows the completed Centennial Hall taken from the Control Tower in the northern carpark looking eastward towards Nicholson Street approximately a month after the Hall's completion in September 1980. The carpark is full and two people can be seen in the foreground unloading items from their car. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 2000
|Dimensions:||184 mm (Height), 242 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, royal exhibition building, construction, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Tertiary Classification:||centennial hall|
|Inscriptions:||Master Plan Stage 6./ Construction Centennial Hall August 27th, 1979 - September 30th, 1980/ - from Control Tower, October 1980.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1880-1881|