Search the collections
Photograph - Plaque Commemorating the Erection of the Hon. John Woods Stone Pillar, Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 9 Aug 1979 Reg. No: MM 124314
- Black & white photograph of a commemorative plaque taken circa 1980. The plaque is mounted on a four-metre high pillar of stone quarried from the Mount Difficult quarry near Stawell, Victoria, and commemorates the efforts by Victorian politician and Exhibition trustees, the Hon. John Woods MP, to have the Victorian Parliament House built from locally quarried stone, rather than imported stone from New South Wales. The plaque was presented by the Exhibition Trustees on th 9 August 1979, and subsequently fixed to Woods' stone pillar.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. The image depicts the plaque afixed to the stone pillar erected by the Hon. John Woods MP in 1880 to protest the use of imported NSW stone, rather than local material, in the construction of the Victorian Parliament buildings. The plaque was presented by the Exhibition Trustees in August 1979 to commemorate Woods protest. There is no caption below the photograph.
|Dimensions:||184 mm (Height), 242 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, royal exhibition building, commemorations, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Commemorative Ceremonies|
|Tertiary Classification:||exhibition building centenary 1980|
|Inscriptions:||THIS PILLAR OF STONE QUARRIED FROM STAWELL/ WAS PLACED HERE ON THE INSISTENCE OF/ THE HON. JOHN WOODS, M.P./ (BORN LIVERPPOL ENGLAND NOVEMBER 5TH 1822, DIED BRIGHTON VICTORIA APRIL 2ND 1892;/ ENGINEER, POLITICIAN AND INVENTOR, COMMISSIONER/ INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITION 1880 AND EXHIBITION/ TRUSTEES 1881-1892) TO EXPRESS HIS INDIGNATION/ OF THE CHOICE OF NEW SOUTH WALES STONE FOR/ PARLIAMENT HOUSE AND TO SHOW THE ENDURING/ QUALITIES OF LOCAL STONE./ PLAQUE PRESENTED BY THE EXHIBITION TRUSTEES AUGUST 9TH 1979/ B.J.E.W.D./ E.R.G. STRICKLAND, O.B.E., CHAIRMAN J.C.ELDEN, DIRECTOR|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1880-1881|