Search the collections
Photograph - Main Exhibition Building from Corner of Spring and Victoria Street, Carlton, 1880-1881 Reg. No: MM 124623
- View of the main Exhibition Building from the south-west corner of the Carlton Gardens near Rathdowne and Victoria Streets at the time of the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition held at the Exhibition Buildings, between 1 October 1880 and 30 April 1881.
Although the Exhibition Building itself had only been recently constructed, the foundation stone being laid in February 1879, the gardens themselves include more mature plants that were part of the original garden layout established by Edward LaTrobe Bateman in the mid 1850s.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print of an original photograph taken by Ludovico Hart on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- International Exhibition Melbourne, 1880: view of the Exhibition Building looking north-east from the corner of Rathdowne and Victoria Streets.
|Dimensions:||184 mm (Height), 242 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions, exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, gardens, buildings, royal exhibition building, royal exhibition building trustees, royal exhibition building history of events 1879-1899|
|Themes this item is part of:||Ludovico Hart, Photographer (circa1836-1919), Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||International Exhibitions|
|Tertiary Classification:||exhibition heritage|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: The Exhibition Building Melbourne/ south-west from Carlton Gardens 1880.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1880|
|Photographer:||Ludovico Hart, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1880|