Search the collections
Photograph - Dinner for Deputy Chairman, Ken L. Christian, Celebrating Twenty-Fives Years as Trustee, Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 16 Jul 1982 Reg. No: MM 124632
- Colour photograph of a dinner held in recognition of twenty-five years of service as a trustee by Exhibition Trustees' Deputy Chairman, Ken L. Christian, on the 16 July 1982. In this image are Mr Freeland Strickland OBE, Chairman of the Exhibition Trustees, and Mr Edward 'Ted' Wallace Best, former Lord Mayor of Melbourne (1969-71).
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A colour photographic print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- Freeland Strickland OBE talking with former Melbourne Lord Mayor Edward Best at a dinner held to recognise Ken Christian's twenty-five years of service on the Exhibition Trustees.
|Dimensions:||200 mm (Height), 250 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, social functions, royal exhibition building, dinners, royal exhibition building trustees, royal exhibition building history of events 1980-1989|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Social Functions|
|Tertiary Classification:||dinners & dinner dances|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Left to right: F.R.G. Strickland; E.W. Best.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 16 Jul 1982|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Freeman "Free" Strickland - Exhibition Building Trustees, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 16 Jul 1982|
|Person Depicted:||Edward Best - Exhibition Building Trustees, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 16 Jul 1982|