Search the collections
Photograph - The Royal Party, Melbourne Meeting Mart, Great Hall, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, 20 Jul 1982 Reg. No: MM 124639
- Colour photograph of the 'Royal Party' of the Director of the Exhibition Trustees, John Elden, and others representing the Royal Exhibition Building, dressed in medieval costume, entering the Great Hall of the National Gallery of Victoria where the Melbourne Meeting Mart was held on the 20 July 1982. The Meeting Mart is an annual Melbourne tradeshow to promote the Victorian events industry, providing an opportunity for various exhibitors to connect with others in the sector. It is still running in 2011.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A colour photographic print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- Representatives of the Royal Exhibition Building, including Director of the Exhibition Trustees, John Elden, entering the Great Hall of the National Gallery of Victoria dressed in medieval costume, the 'Royal Party', during the Melbourne Meeting Mart held on 20 July 1982.
|Dimensions:||200 mm (Height), 251 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, royal exhibition building, trade shows, events, royal exhibition building trustees, royal exhibition building history of events 1980-1989, theatrical costumes|
|Themes this item is part of:||National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Victoria, Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Exhibitions & Trade Shows|
|Tertiary Classification:||trade fairs|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Melbourne Meeting Mart - the Royal Party enters the/ Great Hall - left to right: John Elden (King John); Trevor Riddell (Court Jester); Ruth Bowman (The/ Princess); Keith Forbes (Sheriff of Nottingham): Vivien/ Trinick (Assistant Jeter); Anita Campbell (Maid Marian); Richard Slade (Robin Hood); Andrew Righetti (Alan-a-/Dale).|
|Place & Date Depicted:||National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 20 Jul 1982|
|Person Depicted:||Mr John Elden - Exhibition Building Trustees, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 20 Jul 1982|
|Person Depicted:||Mrs Ruth Bowman - Exhibition Trustees, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 20 Jul 1982|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Trevor Riddell, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 20 Jul 1982|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Richard Slade, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 20 Jul 1982|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Keith Forbes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 20 Jul 1982|
|Person Depicted:||Ms Vivien Trinick, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 20 Jul 1982|
|Person Depicted:||Ms Anita Campbell, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 20 Jul 1982|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Andrew Righetti, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 20 Jul 1982|