Search the collections
Photograph - Melbourne Tourism Authority, World Trade Centre, Melbourne, 19 Apr 1983 Reg. No: MM 124651
- Colour photograph of the Director of the Exhibition Trustees, Mr John Elden, Executive Assistant, Mr Collin Challis, and Ms Ruth Bowman, Personal Assistant to the Director, at a Melbourne Tourism Authority event held at the World Trade Centre in Melbourne, on 19 April 1983.
The passing of the Port of Melbourne (World Trade Centre) Act 1978 on the 19 December of that year, granted the Port of Melbourne Authority reponsibility for the construction and operation of the World Trade Centre at the western end of Flinders Street, backing on to the Yarra River. Built in the 'brutalist' style of architecture during the early 1980s, the World Trade Centre opened in 1983.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A colour photographic print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- John Elden, Collin Challis, and Ruth Bowman standing in front of the Exhibition Trustees' stall at the Melbourne Tourism Authority event at the World Trade Centre, Melbourne, on 19 April 1983.
|Dimensions:||201 mm (Height), 252 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, royal exhibition building, trade shows, events, royal exhibition building trustees, royal exhibition building history of events 1980-1989|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Exhibitions & Trade Shows|
|Tertiary Classification:||trade fairs|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Melbourne Tourism Authority World Trade Centre - / April 19th 1983. Left to Right: C.J. Challis, Executive/ Assistant to the Director, Ruth Bowman, P.A. to/ Director and Director.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||World Trade Centre, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 19 Apr 1983|
|Person Depicted:||Mr John Elden - Exhibition Building Trustees, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 19 Apr 1983|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Colin Challis - Exhibition Building Trustees, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 19 Apr 1983|
|Person Depicted:||Mrs Ruth Bowman - Exhibition Trustees, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 19 Apr 1983|