Search the collections
Photograph - Melbourne Meeting Mart, Centennial Hall, Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 19 Jun 1984 Reg. No: MM 124658
- Colour photograph of Director of the Exhibition Trustees, John Elden, and his Executive Assistant, Collin Challis, with David Ford, Chief of Protocol, Premiers Department, Terry Chesire, and Teresa Stechiwskyj, at the Exhibition Trustees' stall at the Melbourne Tourism Authority Meeting Mart held in Centennial Hall, Royal Exhibition Building, on the 19 June 1984. The Meeting Mart is an annual Melbourne tradeshow to promote the Victorian events industry, providing an opportunity for various exhibitors to connect with others in the sector. It is still running in 2011.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A colour photographic print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- John Elden, Colin Challis and others posing for the camera at the Exhibition Trustees' stall at the Melbourne Tourism Authority Meeting Mart held at Royal Exhibition Building, on 19 June 1984. On the table in front of them are piles of coloured booklets titled 'The Exhibition Convention Centre', promoting Centennial Hall, where the Meeting Mart took place, as an events venue.
|Dimensions:||201 mm (Height), 251 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, royal exhibition building, trade shows, events, royal exhibition building trustees, royal exhibition building history of events 1980-1989|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Exhibitions & Trade Shows|
|Tertiary Classification:||trade fairs|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Melbourne Tourism Authority Meeting Mart. Royal/ Exhibition Building Centennial Hall, June 19th 1984./ Left to Right: David Ford, Chief of Protocol, Premiers/ Department; Terry Chesire; Teresa Stechiwskyj; J.C./ Elden, Director; C.J. Challis, Executive Assistant.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 19 Jun 1984|
|Person Depicted:||Mr John Elden - Exhibition Building Trustees, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 19 Jun 1984|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Colin Challis - Exhibition Building Trustees, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 19 Jun 1984|
|Person Depicted:||Mr David Ford - Premiers Department, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 19 Jun 1984|
|Person Depicted:||Mrs Teresa Stechiwskyj - Exhibition Trustees, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 19 Jun 1984|
|Person Depicted:||Terry Chesire, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 19 Jun 1984|