Search the collections
Photograph - Unveiling of a Plaque Commemorating the use of the Exhibition Building as a Hospital, Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 6 Feb 1984 Reg. No: MM 124661
- Colour photograph of the unveiling by the Hon Thomas W. Roper, MLA, Minister of Health (1982-85) of a plaque commemorating the use of the Royal Exhibition Building as a hospital during the influenza outbreak of 1919. Present are the Hon Thomas Roper, MLA, Director of the Exhibition Trustees, John Elden, Chairman of the Trustees, Linton Lethlean, and Ms Muriel Mathers.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A colour photographic print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- Party of three men and a woman, two either side, at the unveiling of a plaque commemorating the use of the Royal Exhibition Building as a temporary hospital during the 1919 influenza outbreak.
|Dimensions:||201 mm (Height), 250 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||hospitals, exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, influenza, royal exhibition building, royal exhibition building trustees, plaques, royal exhibition building history of events 1980-1989, royal exhibition building history of events 1900-1949|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: On February 6th 1984, unveiling by the Honourable T.W. Roper M.L.A., of a plaque commemorating use of/ the building as a hospital for pneumonic influenza/ patients from February 5th to October 1st 1919./ L. to R. Ms. Muriel Mathers, L.R. Lethlean, Chairman,/ Hon. T.W. Roper M.L.A., J.C. Elden Director.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 6 Feb 1984|
|Person Depicted:||Mr John Elden - Exhibition Building Trustees, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 6 Feb 1984|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Linton Lethlean - Exhibition Building Trustees, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 6 Feb 1984|
|Person Depicted:||Ms Muriel Mathers - Exhibition Building Trustees, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 6 Feb 1984|
|Person Depicted:||Honourable Thomas Roper - Minister of Health, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 6 Feb 1984|