Search the collections
Photograph - Programme '84, Timber Floor Replacement in the Great Hall, Royal Exhibition Building, Jul 1984 Reg. No: MM 124670
- Colour photograph looking southwards from the northern transept of the Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne, during the Herald National Boat Show held between 12-18 July 1984, showing the removal of timber floor and the excavation of the basement tunnel. The work was undertaken as part of a ten-month restoration and maintenance program carried out across 1984-85, called 'Programme '84. Work commenced on 14 June 1984 and was largely completed in time for the International Motor Show that opened on 7 March 1985.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A colour photographic print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- View from the northern transept of the Royal Exhibition Building in July 1984, showing an bulldozer at work levelling a trench following the removal of the floor boards. The Hochgurtel Fountain can just been seen through the open doors of the southern transept.
|Dimensions:||201 mm (Height), 251 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, royal exhibition building, royal exhibition building trustees, restoration, floorings, royal exhibition building history of events 1980-1989|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Tertiary Classification:||conservation & management|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Great Flooring Project during 1984 Herald National/ Boat Show July 12th -18th - Business as usual in/ Galleries.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Jul 1984|