Search the collections
Photograph - 'The Residency' from Nicholson Street, Royal Exhibition Building, circa 1938 Reg. No: MM 124690
- Black & white photograph of the 'Residency' looking north-west along Nicholson street, showing the garage that faced Nicholson street, circa 1938.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- View looking south of the northern end of the Eastern Annexe and the old 'Residency' being demolished. Cyclone wire fencing has been errected with signage that reads 'Gate 7 Nth/ CLOSED' at various intervals along the fence. A truck and a crane are visible behind the wire fencnig on the image right, and an elm tree dominates the centre foreground. The dome of the Exhibition Building is now visible beyond the partly demolished annexe.
|Dimensions:||194 mm (Height), 251 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, royal exhibition building, exterior views, royal exhibition building trustees, garages, royal exhibition building history of events 1980-1989|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: The "Residency" circa 1938 with garage facing Nicholson Street.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1938|