Search the collections
Photograph - The New 'Residency' from the North East, Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne, circa Feb 1985 Reg. No: MM 124706
- Colour photograph showing the sun room and bedrooms of the Director of the Exhibition Trustees' 'Residency' taken from the east, circa February 1985.
The original old 'Residency' was built in 1879, being part of the northern end of the Eastern Annexe set aside for the Secretary of the Exhibition Trustees in 1889, following the 1888 Melbourne Centennial International Exhibition. These rooms were later used by the Exhibition Boys Club and the White Ensign Club, before the northern end of the Eastern Annexe was finally demolished in September 1971. A new 'Residency' was built for the Director of the Exhibition Trustees circa 1921, on the eastern side of the Annexe, and, from 1961 onwards, was enlarged and renovated several times to accomodate the growing needs of the Director.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A colour photographic print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- View from the east of the garden, sun room and bedrooms of the new 'Residency'.
|Dimensions:||199 mm (Height), 202 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, gardens, buildings, royal exhibition building, residences, royal exhibition building trustees, royal exhibition building history of events 1980-1989|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Secondary Classification:||Building & Infrastructure|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: "The Residency" Sun Room and Bed Rooms from East.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa Feb 1985|