Search the collections
Photograph - Roman Catholic Centenary Service in the Great Hall, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 1948 Reg. No: MM 124940
- Black and white photograph taken during a Roman Catholic service held in the Great Hall of the Exhibition Building to celebrate the centenary of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Melbourne in 1948.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- Black and white photograph taken from the northern transept looking south towards a temporary altar during a Roman Catholic service held in the Great Hall of the Exhibition Building in 1948, showing crowds of people fillling the northern transept, and seated either side of the temporary altar underneath the dome.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 2000
|Dimensions:||184 mm (Height), 242 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, religions, royal exhibition building, religions roman catholic, interior views, royal exhibition building trustees, royal exhibition building history of events 1960-1969|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Service in the Great Hall to celebrate centenary of the Roman Catholic/ Diocese of Melbourne 1948. There were three main functions within the/ Building. On Tuesday May 4th at 10.30 a.m.. was celebrated Pontifical/ High Mass for children at which 15,000 attended. Celebrant was the/ Coadjutor Archbishop of Melbourne, the Most Reverend Dr. J.D. SIMONDS./ On Friday evening May 7th at 8 p.m. a Men's night took place at which/ Mgr. Fulton SHEEN of Washington D.C. preached and Cardinal SPELLMAN of/ New York was celebrant at Benediction. On Saturday May 8th at 8.30 a.m./ a Pontificat High Mass for Women was celebrated by Cardinal GILROY of/ Sydney, the preacher being Archbishop PRENDIVILLE of Perth.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1948|
|Organisation Depicted:||Melbourne Catholic Church Community, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1948|