Search the collections
Photograph - Bishop Fulton Sheen, Roman Catholic Centenary Service in the Great Hall, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 7 May 1948 Reg. No: MM 124941
- Black and white photograph taken during a Roman Catholic service held in the Great Hall of the Exhibition Building to celebrate the centenary of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Melbourne in 1948. Pastor, later Bishop, Fulton Sheen from Washington is shown standing at the microphone addressing the clergy and male laity on 7 May 1948.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- Black and white photograph taken from the southern transept looking north during a Roman Catholic service held in the Great Hall of the Exhibition Building in 1948, showing Bishop Fulton Sheen standing at a microphone in the immediate foreground, with the transept at both ground and balcony level full of people, as well as either side of the temporary stage that has been errected underneath the dome.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 2000
|Dimensions:||201 mm (Height), 252 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, religions, royal exhibition building, religions roman catholic, interior views, royal exhibition building trustees, royal exhibition building history of events 1960-1969|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Centenary Roman Catholic Diocese of Melbourne, Bishop Fulton SHEEN of/ Washington addresses clergy and male laity, May 7th 1948.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 7 May 1948|
|Person Depicted:||Fulton Sheen, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 7 May 1948|