Search the collections
Photograph - Queen Elizabeth II Arriving at the Lord Mayor's Ball, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 2 Mar 1954 Reg. No: MM 124943
- Black & white photograph of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, accompanied by His Royal Higness The Duke of Edinburgh, as she arrives for the Lord Mayor's Ball held at the Exhibition Building on Wednesday, 2 March 1954. They are welcomed by Councillor Robert Solly, Lord Mayor of Melbourne and an Exhibition Trustees from 1953-68.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- Black and white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- Black & white photograph of HM Queen Elizabeth II, accompanied by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, stepping from the royal car as she arrives for the Lord Mayor's Ball held at the Exhibition Building on Wednesday, 2 March 1954. They are welcomed by Councillor Robert Solly, Lord Mayor of Melbourne and an Exhibition Trustees from 1953-68. A man in dress uniform holds the car door open while a women in a dress can be seen in the darkened background.
|Dimensions:||184 mm (Height), 242 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||royal visit to australia 1954, royal visits, royal exhibition building, royalty british, royal exhibition building history of events 1950-1959, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1921- ), HM Queen Elizabeth II (1926- ), Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC EVENTS|
|Secondary Classification:||Royal Visits|
|Tertiary Classification:||official visits|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Royal Visit 1954. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II accompanued by His/ Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh arrive at the Exhibition Building/ for the Lord Mayor's Ball on Wednesday March 2nd and are welcomed by/ Councillor Robert SOLLY, Lord Mayor of Melbourne and a Trustee from/ 1953 to 1968.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2 Mar 1954|
|Person Depicted:||HM Queen Elizabeth II, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2 Mar 1954|
|Person Depicted:||HRH Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2 Mar 1954|
|Person Depicted:||Robert Solly - City of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2 Mar 1954|