Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - Preparations for the Visit by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 27 Feb 1958 Reg. No: MM 124945
- Black & white photograph looking towards the organ in the western nave of the Great Hall of the Exhibition Building, showing preparations underway on 27 February 1958 for the visit to Melbourne by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- View through the western nave towards the Grand Organ, showing the decorative planting, draped banners, and arranged chairs in the nave in preparation for a reception held as part of the Royal Visit on Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, to Australia in 1958.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 2000
|Dimensions:||202 mm (Height), 253 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, royal visits, royal exhibition building, royalty british, royal exhibition building history of events 1950-1959, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||HM Elizabeth, Queen Mother (1900-2002), Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC EVENTS|
|Secondary Classification:||Royal Visits|
|Tertiary Classification:||official visits|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Royal Visit 1958. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, Thursday/ February 27th. Preparations Great Hall looking West to Organ.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 27 Feb 1958|
|Person Named:||HRH The Queen Mother Queen Elizabeth, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1958|