Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - Great Hall Decorations, Royal Visit, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 1954 Reg. No: MM 124946
- Black & white photograph looking into the western nave of the Great Hall of the Exhibition Building, showing the interior decorations as part of the Royal Visit by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to Australia in 1954.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- View looking west along the Great Hall showing small sculptures of a lion and horse, the two animals featured n the British Royal coat-of-arms, draped banners, and various others decorations installed in the Hall in preparation for the visit by Queen Elizabeth II in 1954.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 2000
|Dimensions:||202 mm (Height), 253 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, royal visits, royal exhibition building, royalty british, royal exhibition building history of events 1950-1959, royal exhibition building trustees, official reception photos|
|Themes this item is part of:||HM Queen Elizabeth II (1926- ), Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC EVENTS|
|Secondary Classification:||Royal Visits|
|Tertiary Classification:||official visits|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Royal Visit 1954. Great Hall looking west to back cloth depicting/ Windsor Castle. Six thousand guests attended the ball held on/ March 2nd. On February 27th a State Banquet was held in the Royale/ Ballroom and on March 8th a State Reception was held in the Great Hall.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1954|
|Person Named:||HM Queen Elizabeth II, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1954|