Search the collections
Photograph - Royal Lounge during the Royal Visit, Royale Ballroom, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 27 Feb 1958 Reg. No: MM 124948
- Black & white photograph showing the Royal Lounge temporarily set-up in the Royale Ballroom in the Eastern Annexe of the Exhibition Buildings as part of the Royal Visit by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, to Australia in 1958.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
- A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
- Description Of Content:
- View of the Royal Lounge in the Royale Ballroom, Exhibition Buildings, showing the a central table with the British coat-of-arms mounted in the centre, and the Victorian coat-of-arms on a dark curtain behind. Sofas, chairs and oriental carpets decorate the room, with two large bouquet of flowers in the immediate foreground on the left and right of image.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 2000
|Dimensions:||202 mm (Height), 253 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, buildings, royal visits, royal exhibition building, royalty british, royal exhibition building history of events 1950-1959, royal exhibition building trustees|
|Themes this item is part of:||HM Elizabeth, Queen Mother (1900-2002), Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC EVENTS|
|Secondary Classification:||Royal Visits|
|Tertiary Classification:||official visits|
|Inscriptions:||Printed below photograph: Royal Visit 1958. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, Thursday February 27th. Royal Lounge. Royale Ballroom.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 27 Feb 1958|
|Person Named:||HRH The Queen Mother Queen Elizabeth, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 27 Feb 1958|